As It Is With Strangers - by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Photo from citylab.com
It wasn’t until right before I went to bed on Thursday that Mom bothered to tell me the son she'd given up for adoption twenty years earlier was coming over for supper the next day.
"What son?" I asked.
"I'm sure I've told you about him," Mom said. "You must have forgotten."
I figured I probably had. I’m always forgetting little things like my homework assignments and being elected President of the United States. Having an older brother must have just slipped my mind. "How'd you two find each other?" I asked. Presumably Mom had never told me that.
“I registered with an agency,” she said. "Put my name and address in a book, so if he ever wanted to find me, he could. I guess he did. Don't be late for supper tomorrow."
"I won't be," I promised. This was one reunion I had no intention of missing.


School the next day really dragged on. School never goes fast on Fridays, but when your mind is on some newly acquired half I brother, it's real hard to care about Julius Caesar.' I didn't tell anybody, though. It seemed to me it was Mom's story not mine, and besides, my friends all think she's crazy anyway. Probably from things I've said over the years.
I went straight home from school, and was surprised, first to find the place spotless, and then to see Mom in the kitchen cooking away.
"I took a sick day," she informed me. "So I could prepare better."
"Everything looks great," I told her. It was true. I hadn't seen the place look so good since Great-Aunt Trudy came with the goat, but that's another story. "You look very pretty too."
"I got my nails done," Mom said, showing them off for me. They were coral colored. "And my hair."
I nodded. Mom had taught me that nothing was unbearable if your hair looked nice.
"Is that what you're planning to wear tonight?" she asked.
"I thought I'd shower and change into my dress," I said. I own a grand total of one dress, but this seemed to be the right kind of occasion for it.
Mom gave me a smile like I'd just been canonized. "Thank you," she said. "Tonight's kind of important for me."
I nodded. I wasn't sure just what to say anymore. Mom and I have been alone for eight years, and you'd figure by now I'd know how to handle her under any circumstances, but this one had me stumped. "What's for supper?" I finally asked.
"Southern fried chicken," Mom said. "At first I thought I'd make a roast, but then what if he doesn't like his meat rare? And turkey seemed too Thanksgivingish, if you know what I mean. Everybody likes fried chicken. And I made mashed potatoes and biscuits and a spinach salad."
"Spinach salad?" I asked. I could picture Mom pouring the spinach out of a can and dousing it with Wishbones
"From scratch," Mom informed me. "Everything's from scratch. And I baked an apple pie too. The ice cream is store bought, but I got one of those expensive brands. What do you think?"
I thought that there obviously was something to that Prodigal Son story, since Mom never made anything more elaborate for me than scrambled eggs. "It smells great," I said. It did, too, the way you picture a house in a commercial smelling, all homey and warm. "I'm sure everything will go fine."
"I want it to," Mom said, as though I'd suggested that maybe she didn't.
There were a few things I knew I'd better clear up before Big Brother showed up. "What's his name?" I asked, for starters'
"Jack," Mom said. "That's not what I would have named him. I would have named him Ronald."
"You would have?" I asked. I personally am named Tiffany, and Ronald would not have been my first guess.
"That was my boyfriend's name," Mom said. "Ronny."
"Your boyfriend," I said. "You mean his father?"
Mom nodded. "You think of them as boyfriends, not fathers, when you're sixteen," she said.
Well that answered question number two. It had seemed unlikely to me that my father was responsible, but who knew? I wasn't there. Maybe he and Mom had decided they wanted a girl, and chucked out any boys that came along first.
Speaking of which. "There aren't any other brothers I've forgotten about?" I asked. "Is this going to be the first of many such dinners?"
"Jack's the only one," Mom replied. "l wanted to keep him, but Ronny wasn't about to get married, and Dad said if I gave him up for adoption then I could still go to college. I did the right thing, for him and for me. And I would have gone to college if I hadn’t met your father. I don’t know. Maybe because I gave up the baby, I was too eager to get married. I never really thought about it.”
“Did Dad know?” I asked.
"I told him," Mom said. "He said it didn't matter to him. And it didn't. 'Whatever else was wrong in our marriage, he never threw the baby in my face."
I found myself picturing a baby being thrown in Mom's face, and decided I should take my shower fast. So I sniffed the kitchen appreciatively and scurried out. In the shower I tried to imagine what this Jack would look like, but he kept resembling Dad's high-school graduation picture, which made no sense biologically at all. So I stopped imagining.
When I went to my bedroom to change, though, I was really shocked. Mom had extended her cleaning ways to include my room. All my carefully laid out messes were gone. It would probably take me months to reassemble things. I considered screaming at Mom about the sanctity of one's bedroom, but I decided against it. Mom obviously wanted this guy to think she and I were the perfect American family, and lf that meant even my room had to be clean, then nothing was going to stop her. I could live with it, at least for the evening.
Mom and I set the table three times before the doorbell finally rang. When it did, neither one of us knew who should answer it, but Mom finally opened the door. "Hello," this guy said. "I'm Jack."
"I'm Linda," Mom replied. "Come on in. it's nice to… well, it’s seeing you."
"Good to see you too," Jack said. He didn't look anything like my father.
"This is Tiffany." Mom said. "She, uh . . ."
"Her daughter" I said. "Your sister." I mean, those words were going to be used at some point during the evening. We might as well get them out of the way fast. Then when we got around to the big tricky words like mother and son, at least some groundwork would have been laid.
"It's nice to meet you," Jack said, and he gave me his hand to shake, so I shook it. They say you can tell a lot about a man from his handshake, but not when he's your long lost brother. "I hope my coming like this isn't any kind of a brother. I mean bother."
"Not at all," Mom said. "I'm going to check on dinner. Tiffany, why don't you show Jack the living room I'll join you in a moment."
"This is the living room," I said, which was pretty easy to show Jack, since we were already standing in it. "'Want to sit down?"
"Yeah, sure," Jack said. "Have you lived here long?"
"Since the divorce," I said. "Eight years ago."
"That long," Jack said. "Where's your father?"
"He lives in Oak Ridge," I said. "That's a couple of hundred miles from here. I see him sometimes."
"Is he . . ." Jack began. "l mean, I don't suppose you'd know . . ."
"Is he your father too?" I said. "No. I kind of asked. Your father's name is Ronny. My father's name is Mike. I don't know much else about your father except he didn't want to marry Mom. They were both teenagers, I guess. Do you want to meet him too?"
"Sometime," Jack said. "Not tonight."
I could sure understand that one. "I've always wanted to have a big brother," I told him. "l always had crushes on my friends' big brothers. Did you want that-to have a kid sister, I mean?"
"I have one," Jack said. "No, I guess now I have two. I have a sister back home. 'Her name is Leigh Ann. She's adopted too. She's Korean."
"Oh," I said. "That's nice. I guess there isn't much of a family resemblance, then."
"Not much," Jack said, but he smiled. "She's twelve. How old are you?"
"Fifteen," I said. "Do you go to college?" Jack nodded. "I'm a sophomore at Bucknell," he said. "Do you think you'll go to college?"
"I'd like to," I said. "I don't know if we'll have the money, though."
"It's rough," Jack said. "College costs a lot these days. My father's always griping about it. He owns a car dealership. New and used. I work there summers. My mom's a housewife." I wanted to tell him how hard Mom had worked on supper, how messy the apartment usually was, how I never wore a dress, and Mom's nails were always a deep sinful scarlet.
I wanted to tell him that maybe someday I'd be jealous that he'd been given away to a family that could afford to send him to college, but that it was too soon for me to feel much of anything about him. There was a lot I wanted to say, but I didn't say any of it.
"What's she like?" Jack asked me, and he gestured toward the kitchen, as though I might not otherwise know who he was talking about.
"Mom?" I said. "She's terrible. She drinks and she gambles and she beats me black and blue if I even think something wrong."
Jack looked horrified. I realized he had definitely not inherited Mom's sense of humor.
"I'm only kidding," I said. "I haven't even been spanked since I was five. She's fine. She's a good mother. It must have really hurt her to give you away like that."
"Have you known long?" Jack asked. "About me?"
"Not until recently," I said. It didn't seem right to tell him I'd learned less than twenty four hours before. "I guess Mom was waiting until I was old enough to understand."
"I always knew I was adopted," Jack said. "And for years I've wanted to meet my biological parents. To see what they looked like. I love Mom and Dad, you understand. But I felt this need."
"I can imagine," I said, and I could too. I was starting to develop a real need to see what Jack's parents looked like, and we weren't even related.
"Tiffany, could you come in here for a minute?" Mom called from the kitchen.
"Coming, Mom," l said, and left the living room fast. It takes a lot out of you making small talk with a brother.
"W-hat do you think?" Mom whispered as soon as she saw me. "Does he look like me?"
"He has your eyes," I said. "And I think he has your old hair color."
"I know," Mom said, patting her bottle red hair. "l almost asked them to dye me back to my original shade, but I wasn't sure I could remember it anymore. Do you like him? Does he seem nice?"
"Very nice," I said. "Very good manners."
"He sure didn't inherit those from Ronny," Mom declared. "Come on, let's start taking the food out."
So we did. We carried out platters of chicken and mashed potatoes and biscuits and salad' Jack came to the table as soon as he saw what we were doing.
"Oh, no," he said. "I mean, I'm sorry. I should have told you I’m a vegetarian."
"You are?" Mom said. She looked as shocked as he'd told her he was a vampire. Meat is very important to Mom. You're not sick or anything, are you?"
“No, it's for moral reasons," Jack said. It drives my mom, my mother, her name's Cathy, it drives Cathy crazy."
“Your mom," my mom said. "It would drive me crazy, too, if Tiffany stopped eating meat just for moral reasons."
“Don't worry about it," I told her. "I'll never be that moral."
“There's plenty for me to eat," Jack said. Potatoes and biscuits and salad."
“The salad has bacon in it," Mom said.
“We can wash the bacon off, can't we Jack?” I said. "You'll eat it if we wash the bacon off, won’t you?”
I thought he hesitated for a moment, but then he said, "Of course I can," and for the first time since we'd met, I kind of liked him. I took the salad into the kitchen and washed it all. The salad dressing went the way of the bacon, but we weren't about to complain. At least there'd be something green on Jack's plate. All his other food was gray-white.
Mom hardly ate her chicken, which I figured was out of deference to the vegetarian, but I had two and a half pieces, figuring it might be years before Mom made it again. Jack ate more potatoes than I'd ever seen another human being eat. No gravy, but lots of potatoes. We talked polite stuff during dinner, what he was studying in college, where Mom worked, the adjustments Leigh Ann had had to make. Their real things could only be discussed one on one, so after the pie and ice cream, I excused myself and went to Mom's room to watch TV. Only I couldn't make my eyes focus, so I crossed the hall to my room and recreated my messes. Once I had everything in proper order, though, I put things back the way Mom had had them. I could hear them talking while I moved piles around, and then I turned on my radio, so I couldn't even hear the occasional stray word, like father and high school and lawyer. That was a trick I'd learned years ago, when Mom and Dad were in their fighting stage. The radio played a lot of old songs that night. It made me feel like I was seven all over again.
After a while Mom knocked on my door and said Jack was leaving, so I went to the living room and shook hands with him again. I still couldn’t tell anything about his personality from his handshake, but he did have good manners, and he gave me a little pecking kiss on my check, which I thought was sweet of him. Mom kept the door open, and watched as he walked the length of the corridor to the stairs. She didn't close the door until he'd gotten into a car, his I assumed. Maybe it was a loaner from his father.
"You give away a baby," Mom said, "and twenty years later he turns up on your doorstep a vegetarian.”
"He tums up a turnip," I said.
But Mom wasn't in the mood for those kinds of jokes. "Don't you ever make that mistake," she said.
“What mistake?” I asked, afraid she meant making jokes. If I couldn't make jokes with Mom, I wouldn't know how to talk with her.
"Don't you ever give up something so important to you that it breathes when you do," Mom said. "It doesn't have to be a kid. It can be a dream, an ambition or a marriage, or a house. It can be anything you care about as deeply as you care about your own life. Don't ever just give it away, because you'll spend the rest of your life wondering about it or pretending you don't wonder, which is the same thing, and you'll wake up one morning and realize it truly is gone and a big part of you is gone with it. Do you hear me, Tiffany?"
"I hear you," I said. I'd never seen Mom so intense, and I didn't like being around her. "I'm kind of tired now, Mom. Would you mind if I went to bed early?"
"I'll clean up tomorrow," Mom said. "You can go to bed."

So I did. I left her sitting in the living room and went to my bedroom and closed my door. But this time I didn't tum the radio on, and later, when I'd been lying on my bed for hours, not able to sleep, could hear her in her room crying. I'd heard her cry in her room a hundred times before, and a hundred times before I'd gotten up and comforted her, and I knew she'd cry a hundred times again and I’d comfort her then, too, but that night I just stayed in my room, on my bed, staring at the ceiling and listening to her cry. I think I did the right thing not going in there. That's how it is with stranger. You can never really comfort them.

Comments